Friday, April 17, 2009

Quote Of The Day

Over at The Militant Writer, Mary Walters has written a screed that's attracted lots of attention.

One Comment I just had to pull a bit from to run here:
The first thing that needs to be understood is that there is no formula for making a book successful. Anybody who tells you that “if my publisher just did a little more X and supported the efforts with some Y my book would be a bestseller” is full of shit.

If such a formula existed, it would be done over and over and publishing would be a cash rich industry and we’d all hang around the pool and be very fashionable.

That's from Benjamin LeRoy, Publisher of Bleak House Books. Bleak House has published Victor Gischler, Anthony Neil Smith, Nathan Singer, and others. With those writers, if he hasn't figured out The Formula, I doubt anyone else will.

(If anyone from Bleak House reads this ... I'm still tapping my foot, waiting for your stuff in eBook form.)

2 comments:

Keishon said...

Gischer's books are in ebook but I don't understand why Anthony Neil Smith is not. Would read him if they ever decide to go digital. Otherwise, lost sale. -Keishon

Bleak House Books said...

Mike Cane~!

Nathan's stuff is now available for Kindle. We're trying to figure out how to get everything in e format so that everybody who reads e-books can get 'em.

b.