Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Not-Free Free eBook By M.J. Rose

Via Twitter from book_blog:


Dear Reader,

I want you to discover the worlds I'm exploring in the Reincarnation series so much, I'm offering you the first in the series - THE REINCARNATIONIST - free.

No strings, just the free book — all you have to do is click on either of the links above and download the entire novel and start reading THE REINCARNATIONIST (which has just been released in paperback) now! Readers and reviewers say it's "un-put-downable."

The series continues with THE MEMORIST (which is out now) - and early reviews and reader reactions is the same - it seems I've tapped into a universal interest with these books that explore who we were and who we are while at the same time giving you a page turning read. I hope you'll agree.

I would have liked to have gotten this to read. But proceeding with the download brought me to the eHarlequin eBook Store where I could not complete anything for free. It wanted me to create an account.

FAIL!

I lambasted Sony for this with its Reader Revolution free classics promotion.

All of you out there: Free means no strings attached. Stop calling it free if it requires creating an account at a store!

(Yes, Tor asks for you to create an account for its free eBooks too -- but that has the significant benefit of making you aware of more free eBooks to come.)

There's also a link for owners of the abominable Kindle. I suspect, for those who already have an Amazon Alcatraz account, that version will indeed be free for real.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Presumably those who register for a harlequin account also consider it to be valuable to get the harlequin newsletter. It's not as though you had to fill out any credit card info (or even use real info or anything other than a throw-away email account). And you can always unsubscribe to the newsletter later on. And it's not just a PDF version - the MOBI version is there as well.

Mike Cane said...

In another post, you can see the guy said he had to give info. It's my understanding that would include setting up a proper account at their store, just like Sony required for the "free" classics.